Worried about digestive problems in your baby?
Well, stressing over your baby’s digestive health is normal. No worries. SMILES will take you through some digestive problems faced by your little ones and how to solve them?
The most common causes of digestive issues in babies include viral or bacterial infections and lactose intolerance. Furthermore, babies often struggle with digestive issues due to their immature digestive system. The common signs and symptoms associated with poor digestion in babies include constipation, diarrhoea, bloating, and vomiting.
However, if you make use of any of the following home remedies, it may help in treating the digestion problems in babies.
7 Natural Ways To Treat Indigestion in Babies
Don’t know how to treat digestive problems in your babies naturally?
Here are the ways explained by Dr Parameshwara, one of the experts of digestive issues in toddlers.
1. Warm Compression
Warm compression is a great way to get rid of gas or bloating in toddlers. It also helps to calm and soothe your little one. What you have to do?
- ● Soak a clean washcloth or towel in a bowl of warm water.
- ● Wring out the excess water and gently place the warm towel over your baby’s tummy.
- ● Leave it for 2 to 3 minutes and remove.
- ● Repeat the procedure for 2-3 times a day
Massaging helps to strengthen your baby’s bones and muscles. Also, it is a great way of easing digestion-related issues your baby may be facing. What you have to do?
- ● Take baby massage oil and massage around your baby’s belly button.
- ● Move your hands in a clockwise direction.
- ● Gently press down by progressing from one finger to the whole palm.
- ● Move your baby’s legs in and out in a rhythmic manner.
3. Breastfeeding Position
Noticed that your baby is constantly struggling with digestion? Adjusting the feeding position helps your baby fighting with digestive difficulties like acid reflux. What you have to do?
- ● Keep your baby in an upright position while breastfeeding.
- ● Hold the position for at least 30 minutes.
Fermented dairy products like yoghurt help alleviate the symptoms of gastrointestinal problems in infants like constipation, diarrhoea, and vomiting. What you have to do?
- Take two spoons of yoghurt and dilute with distilled water.
- Feed this mixture to your baby a few times a day.
5. Fennel oil
Fennel oil is one of the most effective essential oils in battling digestive issues in babies. It works better when fennel oil is rubbed on the baby’s stomach to relieve tummy pain. What you have to do?
- ● Take a few drops of fennel oil
- ● Mix it with your baby’s regular massage oil.
- ● Gently rub it around your baby’s belly.
6. Burping Correctly
Your baby ingests a lot of air during breastfeeding that leads to stomach problems. The best way to overcome this problem is to burp your baby between feeds. What you have to do?
- ● Hold your baby in an upright position
- ● Support your baby’s back with one hand and the neck with the other hand.
- ● Make your baby’s belly lie down on tummy on your lap as you massage baby’s back.
6. Breast Milk
Breast milk contains enzymes that improve digestion. Therefore, breast milk is ideal for young babies (less than 6 months of age) to get essential nutrients and prevent indigestion. What you have to do?
- ● Start feeding solid food to your babies only after they complete six months.
- ● Feed your babies with breast milk in combination with solid foods until they are about 2 years old.
These natural remedies will be quite effective in helping with gastrointestinal problems in babies.
Our experts of digestive problems in babies at SMILES are ready to help you and give better advice.