The colon or the large intestine is responsible for absorbing the water and mineral salts from food before excreting them out of the body as waste materials. The good bacteria present in the colon can help in the further decomposition of food materials. Hence, thorough cleansing is required to keep this part of the digestive tract properly functional. Colon hydrotherapy is a scientific procedure for cleansing the colon, which is safe for all and also eco-friendly.
Request an Appointment at Smiles
What Is Colon Hydrotherapy?
This procedure is done to wash out all toxic products from the patient’s digestive tract and usually requires approximately 60 liters of water to be passed to the colon. Then the water flows out of the body through another tube by massaging the abdomen carefully. This process is repeated multiple times until the colon is totally cleaned, which takes approximately 45 minutes to be completed.
Who Needs Colon Hydrotherapy?
- ● Irritable bowel syndrome with constipation or stomach upset, along with bloating and indigestion is the prime indication of having toxins in the colon.
- ● Continuous weight gain can be a symptom of toxin accumulation, mainly when other weight loss methods do not work on an overweight person.
- ● The feeling of extreme fatigue despite healthy foods and adequate rest can be due to the over-accumulation of toxins in the colon.
- ● Difficulty in sleeping is another sign of toxin accumulation when the patient fails to have deep slumber and wakes up with stiff joints and muscles.
- ● Sudden skin rashes, acne, hair fall, dry cough, or even sneezing can be the signs of toxins in the digestive tract and need cleansing.
- ● Emotional depression without any definite reason can be due to the health issues caused by the presence of toxins in the colon and needs urgent detoxification through colon hydrotherapy.
What are the Benefits of Colon Hydrotherapy?
- ● Detoxification of the digestive tract is the primary advantage of colon hydrotherapy; it helps in restoring the functions of the liver and kidneys. It also leads to detoxification of the entire body system.
- ● The problem of irritable bowel syndrome can be cured by applying colon hydrotherapy. It can cure chronic constipation, diarrhea, and stomachache by ensuring better bowel movements.
- ● The total cleansing of the colon is essential before any abdominal surgery, for which colon hydrotherapy is the simplest process.
What are the Risks Involved in the Colon Hydrotherapy?
- ● Much fluid goes out of the body during colon hydrotherapy, which may cause dehydration of the body.
- ● This extensive cleansing process of the colon can also wash out important electrolytes, such as sodium and potassium, from the body system. Since these chemicals are needed for delivering electrical signals from cell to cell, their loss can lead to the unconsciousness of the patient.
- ● Colon hydrotherapy can cause the elimination of good bacteria from the digestive system, which are needed for the digestion of foods. These bacteria also help in preventing infection; hence, the risks of infections increase after colon cleansing.
- ● The process of colon hydrotherapy may damage the intestinal walls due to water pressure. Fever, chills, nausea, and abdominal pain can be symptoms of such injuries of digestive walls.
- ● Mild abdominal cramps, bloating, dizziness, loss of appetite, and diarrhea can be the side effects of colon hydrotherapy. Moreover, the insertion of the nozzle can lead to soreness and irritation in the anal passage.
What are the Precautions to Take for Safe Colon Hydrotherapy?
- ● The patient must drink plenty of water and other fluids before and after colon hydrotherapy to avoid the risk of dehydration.
- ● Only expert colon hygienists should be asked to perform this treatment to prevent damage to the digestive tract. It is better to seek recommendations from the attending doctor or reliable people who have undergone this medical treatment.
- ● The medical condition of the patient should be consulted with the doctor before proceeding with colon hydrotherapy, mainly if he/she has prior health issues.
- ● The equipment used for colon hydrotherapy should be sterilized before inserting into the rectum to avoid the risk of further infections. Usually, a disposable device is used for this procedure.