Ayurveda has stood the tests of time in proving its utility in medical sciences. Centuries have passed since the surgical principles of Ayurveda were laid down in Sushruta Samhita but it is still a handy tool for medical practitioners who have to deal with challenging illnesses. Kshara Sutra is one such Ayurvedic technique.
Kshara Sutra is used for treating anorectal conditions such as hemorrhoids or piles, Anal fistula, Anal fissure, and Pilonidal Sinus. The recent advances in medical techniques have provided several options for patients, but Kshara Sutra is still the preferred choice among them.
Request an Appointment at Smiles
What is Kshara Sutra?
Why Does Kshara Sutra Need to be Performed?
The development of the anal fistula follows the same procedure. the infected tissues in the passage of the anus burst out and spread in the perianal region. Kshara Sutra is also an established remedy for piles or hemorrhoids.
Additional factors which may lead to the situation that will demand Kshara Sutra are unhealthy dietary habits and lack of exercise in daily routine.
What are the Symptoms Which Lead to Kshara Sutra?
- ● Swelling in the anal region
- ● Itching in the anal region
- ● Foul-smelling discharge from the perianal area
- ● Bleeding while passing out stool
- ● Pain during bowel movements
- ● Chronic constipation.
How is the Kshara Sutra Diagnosed?
The doctor will enquire about bowel movements, nature of stool, dietary habits, hygiene practices and analyze the situation accurately. A physical examination helps in detecting the actual disease.
Kshara Sutra is the first-line treatment. If the doctor feels Kshara Sutra will not be enough to cure the ailment, it will be combined with modern medical techniques, such as the DGHAL-RAR.
How is Kshara Sutra Performed?
- ● In the pre-operative stage, hair surrounding the anal area is removed. An antiseptic lotion is applied a day before the surgery. You are required to empty your bowels before going for surgery.
- ● On the day of surgery, anesthesia is given to the patient. The medicated thread is then inserted through the anus and tied to the affected area. It helps in cutting the hemorrhoids and healing the fistula and sinus tract. The procedure gets repeated weekly. The thread is replaced with a new one every time. The process continues till the pus gets drained out of the piles and the open tract of the anal fistula is closed.
- ● Once the surgery completes, the patient is kept on a liquid diet. The medicated thread should be treated with warm water daily to accelerate the process of healing. Meanwhile, the Ayurvedic medicines prescribed by the doctor should also be consumed regularly.
What Results can be Expected After the Kshara Sutra Procedure?
Advantages of the therapy are:
- ● It is a cost-effective procedure
- ● It adopts a minimal invasion approach.
- ● The time for which the patient is admitted to the hospital is less.
- ● The recovery is quick and the chances of recurrence are also reduced.
- ● The medication required after the surgery is performed is less as compared to modern corrective techniques.
What are the Risks Associated with Kshara Sutra?
The patient undergoing this treatment feels much happier and is more satisfied compared to other types of surgeries. Even the anesthesia does not have any side effects on the patient.