Is Pilonidal Sinus hindering normal life & your daily activities?
Don’t worry. SMILES is here to assist you to understand more about pilonidal cysts and how to manage it after surgery?
Pilonidal Sinus, an abnormal skin growth located at the tailbone can be very painful and uncomfortable. The pilonidal cyst can be removed surgically but the cyst mostly comes back and would require surgery again to get rid of it.
No patient wants to go through multiple surgeries. Thus, the patients are suggested to choose the right treatment for pilonidal sinus for a minimal chance of recurrence.
Laser surgery for pilonidal sinus has been the most successful treatment option – says Dr.Parameshwara, one of the best pilonidal sinus treatment doctors. This is a minimally invasive procedure & a permanent cure for pilonidal cysts.
What is the recovery time after pilonidal sinus surgery?
If your incision is left open, it may take from a few weeks to several months to heal. However, after the incision has healed, you will notice a scar where the cyst was removed.
It will fade away and become softer with time. Patients are suggested to take bed rest for two days and can go back to their normal activities after 2 to 4 weeks.
Tips for a quick recovery after having pilonidal sinus surgery
Looking for ways to manage pilonidal sinus after surgery?
Here are the tips explained by the experts of pilonidal sinus treatment at SMILES.
- ● Avoid strenuous exercise and activities(for about two weeks after surgery) that require long periods of sitting.
- ● Get enough sleep and rest when you feel tired.
- ● Avoid sitting on hard surfaces for long periods of time until your incision has completely healed.
- ● Drink plenty of fluids and try bland, low-fat foods like plain rice, broiled chicken and yoghurt.
- ● Keep the area clean by washing it with warm soapy water.
- ● Avoid constipation and straining with bowel movements
- ● Avoid fried and spicy foods, alcohol and smoking.
- ● Stop swimming or soaking-baths for about 2 to 3 weeks after pilonidal sinus surgery.
- ● Avoid sexual intercourse until the cyst is completely recovered.
Can a cyst come back after surgery?
Unfortunately, pilonidal cysts do come back after surgery. Several studies show the recurrence rate is as high as 30 per cent.
The recurrence of cysts is due to the area gets infected again or hair grows near the incision scar.
As explained by Dr Parameshwara, the top pilonidal cyst treatment doctor, people who have recurrent pilonidal cysts often develop chronic wounds and draining sinuses. Therefore, he mentioned below some of the ways to avoid the recurrence of pilonidal cysts.
- ● Keep the affected area clean and dry
Wear loose-fitting and comfortable cotton underwear.
- ● Follow the doctor’s post-surgical instructions carefully.
- ● Keep the follow-up appointments with your doctor.
For a better pilonidal sinus treatment in Bangalore, Visit SMILES for painless and permanent cure.