Why are piles in pregnancy so common?
Piles during pregnancy are quite common due to the level of certain hormones in your body. In particular, the hormone progesterone, which relaxes the walls of blood vessels making more likely to occur piles in pregnancy.
The weight of the baby as it grows in the womb, putting more pressure on veins also increases the likelihood of suffering from hemorrhoids in pregnancy.
Symptoms of piles during pregnancy
The swollen blood vessels will become painful and uncomfortable. It is possible to hang down during or after passing a stool.
There are numerous symptoms of piles in pregnant. The most common symptoms include:
- ● Blood after passing the stool: When you sit for trying a stool, you will see blood after passing the stool.
- ● Itching around the bottom: There will be burning sensation and severe itching every time you try to pass the stool.
- ● Feel of being full and need of emptying: The swollen blood vessels keep pressurizing the rectum area and thus it creates the feeling of full bowel and a need to empty it even after passing a stool.
- ● Discharge of Mucus: There will be a mucus discharge every time after passing a stool in piles in pregnancy.
- ● Lumps: A lump hanging outside the anus, which may need to push in back everytime after passing a stool.
Treatment for piles in pregnancy
Treatments can help significantly reduce the itching and discomfort. Some of the treatments for piles are listed below:
- ● Topical Ointments: They have anti-inflammatory and analgesics properties which can provide relief from bleeding, pain, and discomfort.
- ● Laxatives: Laxatives are prescribed if a person with piles suffers from constipation. These can help the person to reduce the pressure on the lower colon and pass stools more easily.
- ● Over the counter remedy: Apply witch hazel medicated pads to the anal area
- ● Surgical options: Patients who have persistent symptoms even after a month of conservative therapy need surgery. This is the option only if the problem is severe
Diet to control Piles during pregnancy
To prevent piles and constipation during pregnancy follow some essential diets which include:
- ● Fiber-rich diet: Take a diet of food which has fruits and vegetables and other foods which are rich in fiber for a smooth bowel movement.
- ● Ripe banana in a cup of milk: Boil a ripe banana in a cup of milk and drink it 3-4 times a day which makes the bowel movement smooth and easy.
- ● Buttermilk with carom seed powder: Take a glass of buttermilk with carom seed powder and a pinch of salt also helps in treating piles (hemorrhoids).
Foods to avoid piles/hemorrhoids?
Avoid taking the following diet when you have piles
- ● White bread
- ● Milk, cheese, and other dairies.
- ● Meat
- ● Frozen meals and fast food.
- ● Ice creams
Pregnancy period is the most special yet the most stressful moment for every couple. Do not let piles affect your journey to parenthood. It is always recommended to reach out to experts for the exact treatment solutions.