If you are experiencing pain, discomfort or a lump in your groin or navel, there are high chances that it is a hernia. This is a complex health condition that can impact both men and women. It occurs when an organ or fatty tissue is squeezed through a weak spot in the surrounding tissues.
There are many types of hernias, but the most common one is an inguinal hernia. Most of the time your doctor will recommend surgery, but that doesn’t have to be the case all the time. If your hernia is in the beginning stages, it can be treated without surgery. There are ways you can reduce the strain on the abdominal muscles.
Continue reading to know about the various non-surgical treatment options.
- Maintaining A Healthy Weight: Exercising once a day will help you maintain a healthy weight and strengthen the weak abdominal muscles. This way, you will be able to maintain a steady supply of oxygenated blood in the body and prevent the displacement of abdominal organs.
- Switch to a Fibre-Rich Diet: Food is as crucial as maintaining a healthy weight. Ensure you include high nutritious foods such as vegetables, non-citrus fruits, whole grains, nuts and seeds, lean proteins and yoghurt. Also, drink plenty of water and fresh juice. These foods will help in overcoming constipation and help avoid an incarcerated hernia that can cut off the blood flow to your intestine.
- Use a Hernia Belt or Truss: Both a hernia belt or truss act as a binder and prevent the hernia from moving. They keep it intact in the abdominal wall. However, this is not a permanent solution, and you should consult your doctor in case you experience excruciating pain.
- Include Ginger-Root in Your Diet: Apart from a bulge, another main symptom of a hernia is a pain in the groin area. The best and most effective remedy for this symptom is ginger root. It is a rich source of antioxidants and nutrients that help reduce any pain and inflammation. It helps stop gastric buildup in the stomach and oesophagus, too.
- Apply an Ice Pack: Inflammation, swelling and redness are some other symptoms of hernia. If you or a loved one is suffering from an inguinal hernia, apply an ice pack to the affected area for instant relief.
As per experts, hernia occurs in one in ten people, and most of them are usually suggested surgery. If your hernia is not in the advanced stages, these alternate options are sure to help you to treat your hernia. SMILES Gastroenterology is the best Gastroenterology hospital in Bangalore that has expert doctors on board to provide you with the best treatment as per your health condition. The hernia specialist in Bangalore SMILES Gastroenterology works towards eradicating quackery. To ensure that our patients get the best treatment possible, we have advanced facilities. Schedule an appointment today!