Peptic ulcers are open sores that develop on the inside lining of your stomach and the upper portion of your small intestine. The most common symptom of a peptic ulcer is stomach pain.
Globally, it is estimated that one in ten individuals develop peptic ulcers at least once in their lifetime. Peptic ulcers can develop in people of any age even kids. SMILES will help you to understand how peptic ulcers affect your overall health?
How can peptic ulcers harm your future health?
If left untreated, peptic or stomach ulcers can be very dangerous that leads to the serious conditions that include:
- ● Perforation: It occurs when a hole develops inside the inner lining of the stomach or small intestine
- ● Bleeding: The bleeding starts from the broken blood vessel in your stomach or small intestine that can be life-threatening
- ● Obstruction: A blockage that can stop food from moving through the digestive tract (from your stomach into the duodenum)
- ● Peritonitis: A bacterial infection of the lining of the abdominal cavity
The symptoms of the above complications are listed below.
Get immediate medical care if you notice any of the following symptoms.
- ● Sudden, sharp pain in the abdomen that doesn’t go away
- ● Feeling dizzy or fainting
- ● Blood in vomit or stools
- ● Excessive sweating and difficulty breathing
How can stomach ulcers be treated?
Fortunately, stomach ulcers are relatively easy to treat. In many cases, they are cured with antibiotics that kill H.pylori bacteria and medications to get rid of stomach acid.
If your ulcer is caused by taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, they can be treated by stopping those medications. If an ulcer causes severe bleeding, an emergency treatment such as blood transfusion may be needed.
In rare cases, surgery may be needed to treat a perforated or bleeding peptic ulcer. Surgery for peptic ulcer disease involves closing a bleeding artery. However, it is always important that ulcers should be monitored by the best gastroenterologists in Bangalore for appropriate treatment.
Stomach ulcers seem like a minor condition but have serious health risks if left untreated. Patients with stomach ulcers should be very careful and consult a specialists of stomach ulcers in case they feel lots of discomforts.
If you are suffering from peptic ulcer then consult us for better treatment from our qualified top gastroenterologists in Bangalore at SMILES.