Bowel movements are closely associated with your food intake. When you are suffering from a gastrointestinal condition like fistula, this association only increases. For every gastrointestinal disease or condition like piles, fistula, fissure, etc., your doctor will always suggest you change your diet. This helps in relieving the symptoms of the condition and also helps with easy bowel movements.
Eating foods that help in faster recovery is important when it comes to fistula. What’s even more important is avoiding the foods that can worsen your condition. After all, the aim is to get better and not worse.
Here is a list of a few food items that you should avoid when dealing with fistula:
- Spicy Foods: If you are someone who prefers spicy food, you will have to quit indulging in hot & spicy food until you recover. Spicy food is off-limits for those with fistula as it can cause more damage. Having spicy foods can cause you pain, discomfort and bleeding during bowel movements. It can worsen your condition, that’s why doctors recommend staying off spicy food.
- Fried and Fatty Foods: No matter how much you like deep-fried chicken wings, delicious burgers, pizzas or fries, it is wise to stay away from them. Fried and fatty foods increase the risk of constipation, as they are high in fat and low in fibre. This slows down the digestion process and can harden the stool, causing you pain and discomfort during a bowel movement.
- Caffeine and Alcohol: Both caffeinated beverages and alcohol should be off the table. They cause dehydration and lead to loss of water in the body. This will cause your stool to harden which will increase difficulty during a bowel movement.
- Dairy Products: All dairy products are high in fat and have low fibre content, which can cause constipation in some and diarrhoea in other individuals. Either way, it is bad for you when dealing with fistula.
- High Sugar Content: Foods that contain high sugar content tend to be hard on the digestive system, slowing down the digestion process. You should avoid eating foods that contain any sweeteners, such as sugar and corn syrup, to name a few.
- Gluten: For those who don’t know, gluten is a large protein that is difficult to digest. That’s why it should be consumed in moderation, if not avoided.
Apart from these foods, you should eat your meals on time, avoid heavy meals and drink a lot of water. However, if the issue persists or you have extreme pain or discomfort, you should visit SMILES Gastroenterology for the best treatment for fistula. The team of doctors are well trained and highly experienced. SMILES Gastroenterology is the world’s first hospital in integrated tertiary care centre for colorectal & digestive disorders. If you are looking for fistula treatment without surgery in Bangalore or for fistula laser treatment cost, contact us today to schedule an appointment!