Diet plays a very important role in treating with fistula in ano. A proper diet which includes nutrients cures the early stage of fistula.
The quantity and the truthfulness towards the diet would rely upon the nature and stage of the fistula. This varies for every single person as no two individual have the same medical problem.
Fistula Diet For Patients
- ● Electrolytes and fluids: A patient can have a high output of fluid drainage. Because of this, it is important to keep fluid and electrolyte balance. Specialists will monitor the fluid and provide electrolytes intravenous fluids which keep you hydrated and clear the infection.
- ● Enteral nutrients: Helps in improving the chances of recovery and decrease the risk of malnutrition.
- ● Parental nutrients: Helps to break down and digest food and also in rest and heal the body.
Best Foods for Fistula
There is a chance for recurrence in anal fistula with mild changes. So have a good diet plan and healthy lifestyle habits ensure quicker healing.
Consuming very little fiber in the food is usually the cause of experiencing fistula.
Have food which is rich in fiber to increase the number of stools in the intestines. Best fibers will obtain from Cereals, Pulses, vegetables, and fruits etc that we consume every day.
Some of the fiber-rich foods for fistula diet or anus fistula diet are as follows:
- ● Cereals: Brown rice, Oatmeal, Brocken wheat, Ragi, Quinoa.
- ● Pulses: Chickpeas, Kidney beans, moong dal, masoor dal, soybeans.
- ● Vegetables: All gourds-bitter gourd, snake gourd, ridge gourd, Cauliflower, Spinach, Carrot, bottle gourd, ivy gourd, ladies finger, green leafy vegetables.
- ● Fruits: Custard Apple, Pears, Grape and Watermelon, Oranges, Papaya, Banana, and Apple.
- ● Milk and Milk products: Skim milk, Paneer, Cottage Cheese, Yoghurt.
- ● Meat, Fish, and Egg: Tuna, Salmon, Herring, Mackerel, Omega3 fatty fish.
- ● Oil: 5 Tablespoon/ day (Olive oil, Mustard Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Canola oil
- ● Raw cabbage juice: Drink a half cup of raw cabbage juice every day to soften and easy passage of stools.
- ● Keep hydrated: Drink plenty of water, which helps in clearing and removing the toxins and keeps you hydrated.
Fistula Diet Restrictions
List of foods to avoid with fistula and lifestyle changes due to fistula:
- ● Spicy foods: Avoid spicy as well as hot food items, which increases pain and bleeding during defecation.
- ● Caffeine: Avoid caffeine when having a fistula because it can lead to dehydration. Some food items include caffeine are coffee, tea, chocolates etc.
- ● Alcohol: This can also cause dehydration leading to hard stools.
- ● Large and Heavy meals: Avoid large and heavy meals, have a small quantity nutritive meal at a time. So it could ease digestion and gives relaxation to the intestines.
- ● Avoid excessive cleansing: Due to excessive cleansing, it may lead to itching and irritation of that particular area.
- ● Flour and Sugar: Avoid eating food from flour with lots of sugar and spices which is harmful to health.
- ● Late night eating: Avoid eating food or snacks at late night. Also, avoid eating outside. These things may slow down your digestion process.
- ● Stress: It is also very important to avoid stress, which may worsen the condition and cause constipation and indigestion.
Prevention is always better than cure. Proper diet prevents fistula in early stages. Taking care of a previous abscess can prevent a coming fistula.
In addition to the above suggestion, avoid packed foods, increase intake of protein, take good sleep, Eat more laxative rich food and Sit in warm water bathtub at regular intervals to prevent the possibility of Fistula.
For more details, consult our best doctors for fistula in Bangalore.