No, it is not at all a good feeling and we feel you! Constipation makes your life miserable in ways you could never imagine. It makes you uncomfortable, uneasy and whatnot. You might be having constipation if you have bowel movements less than three times a week. This is the most evident symptom of constipation followed by bloating, discomfort, pain while passing stool, and fatigue.
Although diet is not the only cause of constipation, avoiding a few food items can, undoubtedly, make you less prone to constipation. So here is a list of 9 food items you might probably want to eliminate or at least ease up on if you want to wave goodbye to constipation.
- Dairy products: The lactose in dairy products causes bloating and gas. This problem is mostly seen in kids and babies. However, consumption of dairy products like cheese, milk, yoghurt, etc. in large quantities can cause constipation problems in adults too.
- Eggs: Although eggs are high in protein, they are also low in fibre which can, in turn, stimulate constipation.
- Red meat: Red meat is high in fat and iron. Such food items tend to make digestion hard, leaving you constipated.
- Fast food: Fast food is a broad term for a wide range of food items including fried foods, french fries, chips, burgers, etc. Most of these junk foods are low in fibre and high in salt which can adversely affect the digestion and easy passing of stool leading to constipation.
- White bread: Consumption of white flour in any form in large quantities can end up making you constipated. Food items like white bread are made from processed grains. Bran, which is high in fibre and germ are moved from these during the processing making these food items very low in fibre.
- Gluten: Gluten is the protein present in wheat, barley, rye, etc. Gluten is not always harmful to everyone but it can be problematic and cause indigestion and constipation to people who are gluten-allergic or sensitive.
- Bananas: The funny thing about bananas is that the unripe version can create constipation and the ripe version can save you from it. So, if you are craving some bananas, go for good and ripe ones.
- Caffeine: An interesting fact about caffeine is that it can go either way. If you are dehydrated, you might experience constipation and in some other cases, caffeine can also act as a stimulant, which, in turn, increases bowel movements more than necessary causing diarrhoea.
- Alcohol: Although alcohol is not technically a ‘food item’, it is one of the leading causes of constipation. When you drink alcohol in large quantities, you tend to pass a lot of urine, leaving you dehydrated. Dehydration delays digestion and irritates the bowel, worsening the constipation problems. So, the key is to stay hydrated and limit alcohol intake.
Along with avoiding or limiting the above-mentioned food items, you must also include fibre-rich food items in your diet to smoothen your digestion. This way you will have a constipation-free life! In severe cases, don’t hesitate to get chronic constipation relief treatment. SMILES Hospital in Bangalore has the best constipation treatment doctor in Bengaluru who could guide you with tips and treatment methods to finally get rid of constipation.
Get treated by the best gastroenterologist in Bangalore at SMILES Hospital. Life would be far better with easy pooping and less toilet straining!