Your gut, also known as the gastrointestinal tract, starts from the mouth and ends with the anus. It plays an important role in digesting food, absorbing nutrients and expelling waste. Due to its important function, its healthy working is what helps maintain your overall health. If it isn’t functioning properly, your entire body gets affected. This is why it is extremely vital to take care of your gut health.
You know you have a healthy gut when you have easy bowel movements one to two times a day. It is free of symptoms like diarrhoea, constipation, bloating, abdominal pain and other related problems. But when your gut isn’t working properly, your body will give you some signs.
Here is a list of the top 7 signs of an unhealthy gut:
- Upset Stomach: When you experience symptoms such as excessive gas, bloating, constipation or diarrhoea, don’t ignore it. A healthy gut will not have a problem processing food and expelling waste out of your system. If you are experiencing discomfort and pain, they are signs of an unhealthy gut.
- Breakouts or Skin Irritation: There are studies that show the link between the gut and skin. If your gut isn’t functioning properly, you might notice skin issues such as eczema, acne, dermatitis and psoriasis. This happens as a result of unbalanced microbiome that increases the sensitivity of the skin, causing breakouts and skin irritation
- Food Intolerance: The difficulty to digest certain foods that don’t suit your body is food intolerance. People who experience food intolerance usually have poor quality of bacteria in the gut that can cause food intolerances. This condition can lead to unpleasant symptoms like bloating, gas and nausea.
- Fatigue: Getting out of breath doing the most simplest tasks? Feeling tired doing certain tasks is common, but when you feel exhausted doing small tasks very quickly, it becomes concerning. This could be because of imbalances in the gut microbiome, which consists of bacteria, microorganisms, fungi and viruses in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Unintentional Weight Changes: When you notice that you have gained or lost weight a few kilos without changing your diet or exercising, it could be a sign of an unhealthy gut. When your gut is not functioning properly, your body will not be able to absorb the nutrients, store fat and regulate blood sugar. If you have gained weight recently, it could be because of insulin resistance or the urge to overeat due to decreased nutrient absorption. On the other side, if you notice weight loss, it might be due to small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
- Migraines: Many studies have suggested that there is a link between headaches and the gut. If you have frequent migraines, it could be because of gastrointestinal disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome and celiac disease. These gut conditions can cause a migraine, and treating these conditions can reduce the severity of the migraine.
- Sleep Disturbance: An unhealthy gut can disturb your sleep cycle and cause insomnia. This happens because of the imbalance in the production of the serotonin hormone. Serotonin is a hormone that is produced in the gut and affects your mood and sleep. Hence, gut damage can interfere with the ability to sleep well.
Your gut health is crucial and ignoring the signs could lead to serious issues. Ensure that you give your gut the best by consulting the leading experts. SMILES is the best gastroenterology hospital in Bangalore that has the best doctors for gastroenterology in Bangalore. We are the first integrated tertiary care centre for colorectal & digestive disorders. We offer advanced facilities and state-of-the-art technology to treat different conditions. If you are looking for a hospital that has the best gastroenterologist in Bangalore and provides a wide range of services, book a consultation at SMILES Gastroenterology today!