If you are experiencing pain while urinating or feel a bulge in the lower pelvic area, you may be showing symptoms of pelvic floor disorder. Though pelvic floor disorder sounds serious, the many colorectal doctors and pelvic floor dysfunction treatments in Bangalore and other cities will allow you to get back to leading a normal life in no time. However, for that to happen, you need to identify the problem and reach out for help.
A pelvic floor is a group of muscles, tissues and ligaments that surround the pelvic bone. They together support the pelvic organs in both men and women. The organs include the bladder, rectum, large bowel, uterus, vagina and ovaries. Apart from supporting the pelvic organs, this muscle has other functions like controlling bladder and bowel movement and sexual activity. When the muscle that supports the pelvic organs itself or the pelvic organs become weak, it is known as pelvic floor disorder.
Because of a lack of awareness about pelvic floor disorder, many people often don’t realise that they are suffering from this disorder. But don’t worry, we have got your back. Here are 5 things you need to know about pelvic floor disorder.
- There are various types: Pelvic floor disorder is more like an umbrella term, and there are various types of pelvic floor disorders in both men and women. Some of them include levator syndrome, urethrocele, cystocele and a few others. But among these various types of pelvic floor disorders, faecal incontinence, obstructed defecation and pelvic organ prolapse are the three main types. Though pelvic floor disorder affects both men and women, it is seen to affect women more than men.
- Strongly associated with ageing: Although there are various causes of pelvic floor disorder, age is said to be the crucial one. In women, the risk of pelvic floor disorder increases with age. However, this disease is also seen among younger women. 25% of women above 20 years are said to have been diagnosed with pelvic floor disorder.
- General treatment methods can help: Apart from surgery, there are different types of treatments that might help. Depending on the cause of a pelvic floor disorder, your doctor will recommend general treatment methods such as dietary changes, laxatives, muscle relaxers, physical therapy and lifestyle changes, to name a few. However, if nothing works and you are experiencing excruciating pain, or your quality of life is being affected, a colorectal doctor will recommend surgery.
- It can be prevented: Just like most other medical conditions, pelvic floor disorder can be prevented. There are certain risk factors that cause this disorder and keeping them in check will help you prevent it. The risk factors are smoking, certain eating habits/diet, sedentary lifestyle, obesity, and poor mental health.
- Common but not healthy: Pelvic floor disorder is a common disorder seen in men and women. However, you need to seek professional help to get it treated. Delaying or ignoring the treatment will only worsen the situation.
If you or a loved one is suffering from this disorder, there is no reason to panic, provided that you seek medical assistance. For the best pelvic floor dysfunction treatment in Bangalore, contact the doctors of SMILES Gastroenterology. We have highly skilled doctors and surgeons that come with decades of experience. Get access to multiple treatment options and allow us to provide the treatment that is best for you for any gastrointestinal problems.